I love playing Mah Jongg, but there are some situations during the game that I don’t love. Sometimes I even hate them. Here is a list of things that occasionally happen during the game that leave me shaking my head and muttering to myself.
- Not being able to call for a discard due to being one tile short for an exposure; then getting a joker on my next pick. Why couldn’t I have gotten that joker on my previous turn?
- Being one tile short for Mah Jongg, then getting three of the same tile the next game, when I don’t need them. Did the Mah Jongg gods get my wish list too late?
- Waiting patiently for my turns, because no one will know what tiles I pick, then getting Winds on several consecutive turns, which I definitely do not need.
- Choosing between two hands, then getting several tiles that are perfect for the discarded hand.
- Discarding a tile a player with an exposure won’t need, only to have another player without any exposures call for it.
- Being “on call” for Mah Jongg for several turns, then another player with no exposures calls it.
- Being so certain what hand another player is working towards; then throwing what I consider a “safe” tile, and finding out I was totally wrong.
- Deciding to play a “Pairs” hand, then getting several Jokers that I have to discard.
How many times have these situations happened to you? What else has happened that left you shaking your head and muttering, “I can’t believe it!”